Shabby Miss Jenn
Photobucket Type 1 holder Photobucket

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Switzerland/Germany Day 1

Hi family!!! Just a quick hello from Switzerland.  Thought I would post on the blog since it is a good way of keeping a journal of our travels!!  After quite the day of traveling mishaps and adventures (I will post an email I sent to Dustin about my morning adventure - because it is really funny in retrospect!!)  we have had quite the incredible day here. Once we got in we went straight to the hotel and checked in and took about a 4 hour nap. Thanks to the xanax, half ambien, and wine I had in DC (not to mention the time change) I was really tired.


After the nap we did lots of exploring since we had absolutely no idea of what to do. We are staying at the cutest hotel just a block from the beach - huge thanks to my mom who found the place for us!! We have learned that Geneva is known to be one of the most expensive cities in Europe. Dustin's salad at a little bistro was $21. In the evening we went to the beautiful St Pierre cathedral. We couldn't go in since it closed early, but maybe tomorrow. Apparently it was John Calvins home church during the time of the protestant reformation. Tonight we had an incredible dinner of the lake where we could watch the fireworks for the Geneva Festival. Another little jewel we just stumbled upon.

Tomorrow we are going to do a walking tour of Geneva and go to the United Nations building, then head to Zermatt. Zermatt is a small little town that is home to the Matterhorn! Being that I love Disneyland more than anything else, we figured that we couldn't miss this! As you probably figured, the Disneyland Matterhorn is a small scale replica of the actual mountain. In Zermatt they don't allow cars, so we have to leave our car in a structure about 30 miles away in Tasch and take a train in. I can't wait!!
 
I am posting pics on facebook as our day goes by, so if you have an account you can see pictures there!!  Love you all!!!

2 comments:

  1. I hope you are having fun. I found your blog a while back but never have really commented. I live in Italy and have been wanting to go to Switzerland before leaving Europe! However, I heard it is expensive everywhere there. My friend paid $7 for a Starbucks coffee! Ha! But then again it is cheap where I live in Italy but in Florence, not so much!

    Enjoy Europe! It is an amazing place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a perfect day in Geneva. We love the pictures! Today is our last day in Estes Park. We're heading back to the park to do some more sight seeing and hiking. Love you both! -- mom/k

    ReplyDelete