Shabby Miss Jenn
Photobucket Type 1 holder Photobucket

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Pin Cushion

This morning was the first time since *the first time* that I watched my dear hubby give himself an injection of insulin. I have tried to give him some space and privacy in this endeavor. After all, who wants your wife watching you do absolutely everything. But today I was walking out the door as he went to the kitchen to grab his insulin pen, and I asked if he minded if I watched. Of course, being the kind person he is, he said no. He makes the entire process look so easy and he doesn't even flinch when the needle pokes his skin. So of course, being the curious person that I am, I asked him if he still gets nervous. And he said yes. Then he went on to tell me that once in a while the injections still sting, and he thinks that those are the ones that you can still see the little marks from on his stomach **imagine at the same time that he is lifting up his shirt** And thats when I see it... about a half a dozen tiny red marks on his stomach. And then I realized... my husband is a pin cushion =( And this is the reason that we are on this journey to natural healing, because I pray for a day when he no longer has to give himself the injections, when we can get a blood test result and his A1C levels are normal.

As we are on this road to natural healing, I am learning more and more about how incredible our bodies are. And I am learning how distorted our society has become in our relationship to food. Food is no longer just about our need to nourish our bodies, it has become the way in which we entertain, a source of happiness, and a comfort. We have made food something that I don't believe it was ever intended for. Don't get me wrong, I am absolutely guilty of this! Although it is fun to sit around with friends and family over a nice meal and catch up, I am now often asking myself what is most important, the time spent with friend, or the food? And I ask this because for me and my husband food has become a challenge. Dustin grew up in a family where food is a central part of their daily lives. His dad is an amazing cook. He owned a restaurant and a catering company, and now just cooks his delicious foods for his family and friends. So to say that Dustin enjoys food is an understatement. He loves food!! He has grown up eating great food!! So this journey is rough, and brings us back to our relationship with food. What is food, and why do we need it? And this is what we must continue think about as we are on the road to make my hubby less like a pin cushion!!

Now... what to do with all those girl scout cookies I ordered two months ago?!?!?!

1 comment:

  1. Leah-
    You are so right about food...It's something I'm realizing myself..My husband and I started juicing as a way to just be healthier...It is amazing how much better we feel and how eating fruits and veggies change some of our sicknesses such as my sinuses...Anyway, Keep fighting girl. I admire you and your husband and am praying for you on this journey.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete